The Science Organization Site License is designed to deliver easy access to the full suite of GIS technology to researchers.
As entities of universities or as standalone organizations, researchers at a small non-commercial, science organizations or research institutes are unique in that they not only conduct research, but may also coordinate diverse sectors (government agencies, NGOs, small businesses, etc.), build consensus among experts, and pay special attention to GIS project implementation, tool development, and technology transfer. These science organizations are typically much smaller than a university (e.g., 50 to 500 employees).
In terms of licensing of Esri technology, these science organizations may fall through the cracks (i.e., they may not be affiliated with a university, not truly a government agency, not truly a conservation or humanitarian non-profit, and if part of a university, may be located off-campus and thus have difficulties getting resources or recognition from the broader campus university site license). The science kit, a US domestic offering, designed to meet their unique needs.
Researchers at such organizations are typically equivalent to faculty members at a college or university, but not engaged in nearly as much teaching–or perhaps no teaching at all. Their focus is more along the lines of data collection, analysis, interpretation, and publishing of research results in the areas of geography, ocean science, hydrology, ecology, forestry, climate science, geology/geophysics, agricultural science, conservation biology, geographic information science, computer science, sustainability science and/or geodesign. These researchers may be skilled in GIS and computer programming, or rely on the support of GIS analysts or information systems managers at their organization.
A Foundation for Scientific Research
The Esri Science Organization Site License is designed to deliver easy access to the full suite of GIS technology to researchers. ArcGIS Online is a key offering within the kit so that it may be used as an organizational platform for research, as the infrastructure to perform that research, and as a digital science information laboratory.
The Esri Science Kit is aimed at fostering science collaboration, visualization, analytics, modeling, communication, and in building a complete science data management system. Therefore, if a research grant is forthcoming to the organization, this is the magic ingredient to use.
“Load your own data and go,” with Esri basemaps, story maps, ArcGIS Collector, sharing/collaboration space with an ArcGIS Online for Organizations account. The science kit includes the ArcGIS Open Data app as part of the organizational account as another option for easy and open sharing of data (e.g., drag and drop maps, tables, shapefiles into the app to share on the web, open for developers, open for science communicators).
ArcGIS is a comprehensive geospatial platform for science, supporting research, supporting collaboration, supporting spatial analysis, visualization, open data, and science communication at multiple SCALES:
- At the scale of the individual researcher with basemaps, content management, apps (e.g., field collection, open data, viewing, cloud based spatial analysis, GeoEvent Processor for Server, raster processing in the cloud);
- At the scale of workgroups in a lab, collaboration and data sharing with partners, plug ins;
- At the scale of supporting inter-organization collaboration from research institute to research institute, research institute to federal agency (e.g., NOAA/NASA); research institute to national or global initiative such as NSF EarthCube or GEOSS.
- At the scale of broader citizen engagement, in communicating its science to the general public (e.g., story maps and open web map publishing).
- Unlimited use of products as defined in the “What’s Included” section–unless otherwise noted
- 2 User Conference Passes
- 2 GIS Specialists appointed by Research Institute for Technical Support contacts
- Unlimited access to Esri Self-Paced e-Learning
- Esri Press has authorized the gift of two science-related Esri Press Books to Esri Science Organization Site License customers. The choice of the books will be up to Esri Chief Scientist Dawn Wright and the customer.
[Note: The Esri Science Organization Site License does not include installation or implementation services and is for US domestic organizations only. International research organizations already have an International Research Institute Program available through the Esri distributor for a particular country.]
Technical Support Services: Technical support services are included and will be provided in accordance with the then-current Esri technical support policy, provided Licensee remains current on its payment of the Annual Fee. Licensee’s GIS Specialist(s) will be the only individual(s) authorized to contact Esri for technical support.
Upgrades: During the general commercial release of the Products, Esri, at its sole discretion, will deliver to Licensee one (1) upgrade package for each of the Programs included in the Site License or make updates available for downloading from Esri’s website, provided the Annual Fee has been paid and the Agreement is current.
For a Quote, Please Contact:
Dawn Wright, Esri Chief Scientist, firstname.lastname@example.org.
[Updated 29 November 2017]