At the recent OGC meetings in Geneva, members of the OGC formed an OGC Big Data Domain Working Group. This OGC domain group provides an open forum for discussions and standards recommendations for Big Data interoperability, access, and analytics related to geospatial information. To this end, the open forum will encourage collaborative development among participants representing many organizations and communities, and will ensure appropriate liaisons to other relevant working groups inside and outside OGC.
The group will consolidate findings on a public wiki to inform both the OGC membership and the greater public and allow for feedback during the editing phase and after. A report will be submitted to the OGC membership for publication as an OGC Best Practice paper.
Because location-based and geospatial data applications are major contributors to the Big Data deluge, the OGC is positioned to provide guidance on the use of OGC standards in managing such data. Further, with the advent of increased machine-machine communication, interoperability is gaining even more importance. OGC, therefore, is establishing a position addressing Big Data issues, including – but not limited to – science, implementation, market value, and societal effects.
The initial membership of the BigData WG will consist of the following members and individuals with extensive education and experience in Big Data issues:
- Peter Baumann, Jacobs University (co-chair)
- John Herring, Oracle (co-chair)
- Juergen Seib, Deutscher Wetterdienst
- Stan Tillman, Intergraph
- Marie-Francoise Voidrot, Meteo France
- Jeff de la Beaujardiere, NOAA
- Bruce Gritton, US Navy MetOc
- Chuck Heazel, WISC (co-chair)
- Mike McCann, MBARI
- Pedro Goncalves, Terradue
- Don Sullivan, NASA
- Ed Parsons, Google
- Robert Gibb, Landcare Research New Zealand
- Jean Brodeur, Geoconnections, NRCAN
- Jinsongdi Yu, Fuzhou University
- Arnaud Cauchy, Airbus Defence & Space
These members encourage others inside and outside the OGC to participate in discussions and in preparation of a final report.
[Source: OGC press release]